Traveling with friends is an amazing experience we wish every woman could have. Traveling with other women is different from traveling with a partner or with family. It is sure to result in memories that will be cherished forever by the both of you.
Naturally, we think the most special gal pals are the ones who say yes to adventure! Before you book the trip, however, there are some things that you and your travel buddy should discuss.
We've compiled sixty helpful questions to ask your friend before you travel together. The list is by no means a quiz that must be passed. These questions are simply a resource for setting your expectations and getting on the same page as the woman you're about to embark with on a life-changing adventure.
If you're gearing up to travel with a friend for the first time, here is what we recommend you cover:
Ten Travel Preference Questions to Ask Your Travel Buddy:
- How do you like to spend your time during a flight?
- Would you rather stay in a hotel or an Airbnb?
- Would you prefer a private room or a shared room?
- Do you prefer a private car or public transportation?
- Do you like to have a detailed itinerary or be spontaneous?
- How much research do you like to do on a destination before arriving?
- Are you more likely to befriend locals or keep to yourself?
- Would you rather eat street food or experience fine dining?
- Would you rather visit an art museum or a history museum?
- Do you prefer outdoor experiences or indoor experiences?
Ten Habit Questions to Ask Your Travel Buddy:
- Do you consider yourself a "morning person?"
- How likely are you to snooze your alarm?
- What is your morning routine / how long do you take to get ready?
- Do you drink coffee? If so, how do you take it?
- Do you prefer to shower in the morning or at night?
- How do you like to wind down in the evening?
- What time do you like to go to bed?
- What are your ideal sleeping conditions?
- What is your ideal amount of alone time each day?
- Do you have any other daily practices I should be aware of?
Ten Activity Questions to Ask Your Travel Buddy:
- How much are you willing to walk in a day?
- How much time per day do you expect to spend away from the hotel?
- Do you prefer guided tours or to explore on your own?
- How many hours could you realistically spend in a museum?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you enjoy shopping?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you enjoy learning about a destination?
- On a scale of 1-10, how willing are you to try new things?
- Would you consider yourself a thrill-seeker?
- Is there a particular experience you're looking to have in our destination?
- Is there a particular experience you'd like to avoid in our destination?
Ten Food Questions to Ask Your Travel Buddy:
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- How soon after waking up do you like to eat?
- How many meals do you eat per day?
- Do you typically snack in between meals?
- Would you consider yourself a "foodie?"
- Would you consider yourself an adventurous eater?
- Do you have a sweet tooth?
- What is your tolerance regarding spicy food?
- Do you prefer an entree to yourself or to share food "family style?"
- Do you drink alcohol?
Ten Financial Questions to Ask Your Travel Buddy:
- What is your ideal daily budget for travel?
- Is it important to you that we have a similar budget for our trip?
- Is your travel budget flexible or set in stone?
- Are you more inclined to spend money on possessions or experiences?
- How would you like to split our shared travel expenses?
- How would you like to split the tab at restaurants?
- Do you use any sort of "travel hacking" (i.e. points, miles, deals)?
- Are you loyal to a specific airline or hotel chain?
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to purchase an upgrade?
- How much is too much for you to spend on a specific experience?
Ten Safety Questions to Ask Your Travel Buddy:
- Do you have any medical concerns I should know about?
- Do you have any accessibility concerns or mobility restrictions?
- Do you have any food allergies?
- Do you have any allergies to medication?
- Are there any activities where you'd like to make sure we stick together?
- Who would you like me to contact in an emergency?
- What will the capabilities of your cell phone be while we travel?
- Should we come up with a codeword for if one of us feels uneasy?
- If we get separated, where would you like to meet?
- Do you have any specific safety concerns about our destination?
Our hope is that these travel buddy questions spark some meaningful conversations and set you both up for success!
Please remember that you and your friend don't have to be 100% compatible to have a successful trip together. It's rare for travel buddies to be exactly alike, which is also part of the fun! The differences you find as you talk through the questions will set the stage for a travel experience that is completely unique, one where you'll get to experience things you may not have done on your own. Your friend's travel insights are exactly what is about to make your trip together so special.
Discover More from the Sherpani Travel Blog…
For more on travel preparation, read Your Pre Travel Checklist, the Complete Guide of Things to Remember Before You Go Abroad
Want more information on travel safety? Check out Five Common Types of Bag Theft + How to Prevent Theft During Travel
Wondering what to do on your trip? Try The Best Thing You'll Do in Ho Chi Minh City
By women for women, the Sherpani Travel Blog talks about all things travel. With a new post every week on Travel Tuesday, our blog is the go-to place for unique travel guides, general travel tips, personal travel stories from women in our community, and more!